When I saw Digi Darla's Challenges was having a masculine card challenge, Challenge #103 - Make it Masculine, I had to go for it. I like making these because they take me out of my comfort zone and push me to work with something I'm not used to. Well, today... this project almost made me cry!
It started fairly simple. Based on the fact that it was for a masculine card, I went and chose the paper I wanted to work with. Then... the nightmare began. I colored the image with Copic markers. My first thought was to color the overalls navy blue, the t-shirt baby blue and the baseball cap red. Well, I started with the t-shirt and discovered I was out of B000. I'd already outlined with the B02 and B00. So I decided to use a very light BG. I thought it would blend well but instead I ended up with a dirty gray t-shirt. NOT what I wanted so I reached for B15, B13 and B11 and went with that. Then, with the whole dilemma of the t-shirt, my color scheme went out the window! It wasn't until I was assembling the card I realized I did not color it as I originally planned. :( To top it off, I thought his forehead was kinda pale and decided to add some E00 for more color. Well, let me explain... the ink cartridge I purchased for the printer recently... well... it seems to be like really juicy. The images have been smearing. Well, I was heat setting the images with my heating tool but that was not working very well. Today, I pulled out the ironing board and iron. It did the trick! But for some reason, when I was coloring the forehead, the ink ran around the eyebrows. I was devastated! After all I'd been through with the whole outfit coloring fiasco. I almost cried! I actually thought of throwing it away and starting over but who was I kidding!?! I have not ever been able to do that. So I played with it and played with it but all I accomplished was making the smear look lighter but it's still there. :'(
Then... when I was assembling it, I forgot it was for a masculine card! I added rhinestones to the center of the flowers on the image. I added flowers to the side of the sentiment. Thankfully, as I was admiring the final result... I always admire my cards... ;) lol I realized it was suppose to be a masculine card! The flowers had not set yet so I was able to remove them easily and replace these with buttons. The rhinestones on the flowers were also not set so I took those off. I added some itty, bitty silver brads to the overalls where the buttons are to add some detail. I like detail. :)
Here is my card:
The sentiment was picked out when I forgot it was to be a masculine card but I think it will still work. I'm ssooo glad I decided against the red, frilly ribbon I was originally looking at! *SIGH* As you can see, the navy overalls ended up being black and the cap was colored to match the shirt. :-\ Ugh! I don't know what I was thinking after the t-shirt mishap. :) What a challenge this card turned out to be! lol ;)
Thanks for stopping by!